The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) envisions a more equitable world where forestry and landscapes enhance the environment and well-being for all. CIFOR is a non-profit, scientific institution that conducts research on the most pressing challenges of forest and landscape management around the world. Using a global, multidisciplinary approach, we aim to improve human well-being, protect the environment, and increase equity. To do so, we conduct innovative research, develop partners’ capacity, and actively engage in dialogue with all stakeholders to inform policies and practices that affect forests and people. CIFOR is a CGIAR Research Center, and leads the CGIAR Research Program on Forests, Trees and Agroforestry (FTA). Our headquarters are in Bogor, Indonesia, with offices in Nairobi, Kenya; Yaoundé, Cameroon; Lima, Peru; and Bonn, Germany.
Consultant for Global Landscapes Forum Communications Specialist
Global Landscapes Forum
The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) takes the lead in organizing the Global Landscapes Forum, supported by a small group of Coordinating Partners (including UNEP and the World Bank) and backed by a broad partnership of over 200 organizations and government bodies active in land use sectors.
Since its inception in 2013, the Global Landscapes Forum has turned into the world’s foremost science-led platform for integrated land use, policy makers, researchers, development practitioners and representatives from civil society, finance and the corporate sector to exchange expertise and best case examples around land use decision making. The Forum focuses on finding cross-sectorial solutions to the world’s most pressing problems – fighting climate change, poverty and food insecurity while protecting the planet’s ecosystems and biodiversity.
Following the adoption of Sustainable Development Goals and the Paris Climate Agreement in 2015, the Global Landscapes Forum is actively transitioning from a platform focused on policy advice to one focused on action on-the-ground and tracking progress towards these new climate and development goals. The Forum will continue to be grounded in the following pillars: annual and thematic events, the Youth in Landscapes Initiative, guidance of the science committee and year-long online engagement. In November 2016, the German Government announced it would support the expansion of the Forum from 2017-2020, including the location of a Secretariat in Bonn, Germany.
Duties and responsibilities
- Take the lead in all GLF online and media outreach, including day-to-day management of www.landscapes.org, Twitter and Facebook pages, and monthly news updates;
- Oversee all outreach and communication activities related to the GLF;
- Manage communications around the GLF global conference and regional and thematic events;
- Thoroughly study and improve GLF’s current online engagement platforms and networks and evaluate related results;
- Conceptualize long-term communications strategy and execute in support of the Forum’s objectives including the aspiration to reach 1 billion people by 2020;
- Prepare curriculum for planned GLF Academy in collaboration with CIFOR and partner organization’s scientists;
- Identify innovative formats and new technology in support of interactive online engagement;
- Keep up with newest developments in the social media sector on a day-to-day basis;
- Study other organizations’ and events’ online outreach arms and successful tools for online engagement, ranging from MOOCS and online conferences to newest developments in livestreaming;
- Take initiative in suggesting new formats and platforms;
- Work closely with CIFOR’s GLF team and partners on linking online formats and networks to GLF’s substance and key messages;
- Oversee the work of the GLF Social Media specialist in close collaboration;
- Closely monitor impact and reach and adjust online strategy accordingly.
Education, knowledge and experience
• Master’s degree in communications, journalism or a related discipline or Bachelor’s degree and at least five years of work experience;
• Experience in online and media outreach;
• Good understanding of social media and website metrics;
• Experience in planning, implementing and evaluating complex projects;
• Experience in working in international development or environmental policy is an asset;
• Fluency in English is a must, other languages (esp. French, Spanish, Indonesian, German) are an advantage.
Personal Attributes and Competencies
• Self-motivated, deadline oriented, resourceful and energetic;
• Able to find creative solutions;
• Able to strategize at both macro and micro levels;
• A team player and have outstanding interpersonal communications skills;
• Strong client service approach;
• Proven ability to work well under pressure.
Terms and Conditions
• This is a consultancy position. CIFOR offers competitive remuneration, commensurate with skills and experience.
• The appointment is for 12 months.
• The duty station will be at CIFOR HQ in Bogor, Indonesia.
• Please submit cover letter carefully describing your suitability for the role (not to exceed 300 words), resume and writing sample (s). The application deadline is 07 January 2017.
• We will acknowledge all applications, but only contact short-listed candidates
Application processThe application deadline is 21 Feb-2017
We will acknowledge all applications, but will contact only short-listed candidates.