The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) envisions a more equitable world where forestry and landscapes enhance the environment and well-being for all. CIFOR is a non-profit, scientific institution that conducts research on the most pressing challenges of forest and landscape management around the world. Using a global, multidisciplinary approach, we aim to improve human well-being, protect the environment, and increase equity. To do so, we conduct innovative research, develop partners’ capacity, and actively engage in dialogue with all stakeholders to inform policies and practices that affect forests and people. CIFOR is a CGIAR Research Center, and leads the CGIAR Research Program on Forests, Trees and Agroforestry (FTA). Our headquarters are in Bogor, Indonesia, with offices in Nairobi, Kenya; Yaoundé, Cameroon; Lima, Peru; and Bonn, Germany.
Senior Scientist, Responsible and Innovative Finance
The primary responsibility of the Senior Scientist is to contribute to the development and implementation of a vigorous and globally relevant research agenda focused on responsible and innovative finance. The main purpose of the position is to undertake research, support learning processes, and contribute to policy engagement with private and public actors and initiatives. This should lead to improving the role of finance and financial service providers (FSPs) in promoting greater sustainability of landscapes and agricultural and forestry value chains, while enhancing smallholder access to finance. This work will be conducted under the “Value Chains, Finance and Investments” (VFI) team, and Flagship 3 on “Sustainable Global Value Chains and Investments” under FTA II Program.
Duties and responsibilities
- Provide intellectual leadership and scientific guidance in the development of relevant conceptual frameworks and research methods;
- Conduct research in collaboration with select partner organizations on key result areas in ways that meaningfully contribute to national and global debates on responsible and innovative finance;
- Coordinate research around key result areas that contribute to improving the role of finance in supporting the governance of commodity supply, sustainable landscapes, and more inclusive business models;
- Contribute to the development of the Landscape Fund, a CIFOR supported initiative to provide secure investment opportunities at scale while improving livelihood opportunities, increase resource efficiency and sustainable resource use at the landscape level;
- Write and supervise the development of publications and other scientific communications related to research priorities and policy engagement activities in collaboration with partner organizations;
- Strengthen and enhance partnerships with relevant partners engaged in research on private and public finance and investment, and other actors involved in the finance industry;
- Contribute to the development of capacity building strategies involving partner organizations from the private and public sector, and improving linkages with existing and planned VFI activities;
- Lead and supervise capacity building initiatives at both the project and team level;
- Supervise students and mentor junior researchers and scientists involved in CIFOR finance-related projects;
- Develop and implement a strategy for policy engagement with relevant public and private actors across various scales in order to facilitate the uptake of research results;
- Contribute to identifying Theories of Change, Impact Pathways, and appropriate knowledge sharing mechanisms relevant to individual finance projects and VFI and FTA II FP3 strategic priorities;
- Coordinate and/or contribute to the policy-science dialogue within relevant finance and business platforms, and key government efforts, and systematize outcomes from policy engagement;
- Coordinate and/or contribute to knowledge dissemination activities targeted at private and public decision-makers through workshops, conferences, blogs, policy briefs, and other forms of social media;
- Lead/contribute to the fund-raising efforts by VFI team and FTA II FP3.
Details of duties, assignments and objectives will be further discussed and laid out in the staff’s annual performance contract.
Education, knowledge and experience
• Candidates should have a Master of Business Administration (MBA) in Finance, a Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) or equivalent credentials. A PhD in finance or Agricultural Economics is an advantage;
• At least 10 years of relevant experience as a financial analyst with a track record in soft commodities or in with experience in sustainability processes related or supported by the financial sector and platforms;
• Experience in conducting financial analysis related to ESG integration options, investment risk management, social and environmental due diligence, and smallholder finance;
• Analytical capacity to connect macro and micro-levels of analysis, as well as to link financial analysis with other economic and social perspectives;
• Excellent written and spoken English, ability to write and communicate in other languages is an advantage.
Personal Attributes and Competencies
• Excellent analytical and synthesis skills;
• Management and organizational skills, experience in project coordination and management;
• Creative thinking and ability to systematize and disseminate messages within the financial and investment sector, and development and conservation communities;
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to effectively interact with people in a multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural environment;
• Excellent facilitation and team building capacity;
• Values the sharing of information and continuous improvement in a cooperative atmosphere of constructive evaluation and learning.
Terms and Conditions
• This is an Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS) position. CIFOR offers competitive remuneration in USD, commensurate with skills and experience;
• The appointment is for two years, inclusive nine months’ probationary period, with a possibility of extension contingent upon performance, continued relevance of the position and available resources;
• The duty station will be at CIFOR HQ in Bogor, Indonesia.
Application processThe application deadline is 30 Sep-2016
We will acknowledge all applications, but will contact only short-listed candidates.