The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) envisions a more equitable world where forestry and landscapes enhance the environment and well-being for all. CIFOR is a non-profit, scientific institution that conducts research on the most pressing challenges of forest and landscape management around the world. Using a global, multidisciplinary approach, we aim to improve human well-being, protect the environment, and increase equity. To do so, we conduct innovative research, develop partners’ capacity, and actively engage in dialogue with all stakeholders to inform policies and practices that affect forests and people. CIFOR is a CGIAR Research Center, and leads the CGIAR Research Program on Forests, Trees and Agroforestry (FTA). Our headquarters are in Bogor, Indonesia, with offices in Nairobi, Kenya; Yaoundé, Cameroon; Lima, Peru; and Bonn, Germany.
Consultant for Web Writer and Editor
The consultant Web Writer and Editor will be responsible for generating, editing and curating content and special features for CIFOR’s corporate website, CIFOR.org, and its sub-sites, with the aim of increasing the sites’ effectiveness in attracting and engaging with target audiences.
CIFOR.org, which attracts more than one million views a year, is home to the world’s largest repository of knowledge on tropical forests and landscapes, built by CIFOR’s researchers and partners throughout the organization’s 23-year history. CIFOR is designing initiatives to package that knowledge for audiences in new ways to continue to grow the web as an uptake pathway.
This consultancy will suit an emerging communications specialist with a flair for writing for the web, ideas on ways to present digital materials, and a passion for science communications. Understanding of how websites work is useful, but technical programming expertise is not required.
The consultant will work with a talented and experienced web team (programmers, analysts and designers) and serve as a liaison between the web team and its clients (CIFOR researchers and colleagues within COE).
Duties and responsibilities
• Curate content on CIFOR.org, ensuring the homepage is up-to-date and reflects current priorities as set by the Director and by the Communications & Outreach Manager
• Oversee the development of the Educator’s section, including selecting content and writing web copy
• Oversee the development of resource packages, including curating content and writing web copy
• Maintain the Featured Publications section of CIFOR.org, including writing web stories to promote publications
• Write and edit web copy in support of changes related to implementing CIFOR’s 2016-2025 strategy
• Liaise with the Global Project Communications Coordinator, researchers and project coordinators in developing web resources and sites, give clear briefs to the web team on changes required, write and edit copy, and guide projects to the end
• Liaise with the Global Events Manager and the Communications & Outreach Manager on creating and promoting websites for events with CIFOR involvement
• Write and/or edit corporate news stories, project news stories, event news stories and other material for CIFOR.org
• Liaise with the Social Media Analyst to ensure web materials are promoted through social media
• Curate content onto CGIAR.org
• Other tasks related to web writing and editing, social media and events, as required by COE management
Education, knowledge and experience
• University degree in a related discipline (communications, development, international relations, environment, etc.),
• Demonstrated interest and experience in the use of websites for science or other research/development communications,
• Demonstrated ability to write and edit high-quality and accessible English-language science communications materials, especially for the web, in a range of styles as required (samples of unedited writing will be requested),
• Fluency in formal and idiomatic English; other major languages an asset,
• International experience with NGO or comparable organization an advantage,
• Familiarity with WordPress preferred,
• Demonstrated experience with social media preferred.
Personal Attributes and Competencies
• Ability to excel in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment,
• Strong client service approach,
• Resourceful, adaptable and self-directed, and able to find creative solutions,
• Passion for excellence.
Terms and Conditions
• This is a Consultancy position. CIFOR offers competitive remuneration, commensurate with skills and experience,
• The assignment is for 12 months,
• The duty station will be at CIFOR HQ in Bogor, Indonesia.
Application processThe application deadline is 31 Mar-2016
We will acknowledge all applications, but will contact only short-listed candidates.