The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) envisions a more equitable world where forestry and landscapes enhance the environment and well-being for all. CIFOR is a non-profit, scientific institution that conducts research on the most pressing challenges of forest and landscape management around the world. Using a global, multidisciplinary approach, we aim to improve human well-being, protect the environment, and increase equity. To do so, we conduct innovative research, develop partners’ capacity, and actively engage in dialogue with all stakeholders to inform policies and practices that affect forests and people. CIFOR is a CGIAR Research Center, and leads the CGIAR Research Program on Forests, Trees and Agroforestry (FTA). Our headquarters are in Bogor, Indonesia, with offices in Nairobi, Kenya, Yaoundé, Cameroon, and Lima, Peru.
Research Specialist – Quantitative Methods
The Research to Impact team needs a Research Specialist, whose role will contribute to guiding scientists in survey sampling, research instrument design, statistical and econometrics analysis, and also co-delivering training in quantitative research methods. The Research Specialist, together with the Research Data Specialist, will coordinate data collection in CIFOR such that it is undertaken using a set of common standards and practices. This will then allow data to be reused by other projects in the future, as well as providing the data for wider use beyond CIFOR.
Duties and responsibilities
• To develop common standards and practices related to quantitative data collection.
• To guide and work with scientists in CIFOR to meet the standards and adopt practices related to quantitative data collection and analysis.
• To conduct quantitative analysis and research.
• To quality assure quantitative analyses done by CIFOR scientists.
Details of duties, assignments and objectives will be further discussed and laid out in the staff’s annual performance contract.
Education, knowledge and experience
• Master’s degree in economics, statistics, or other quantitative social sciences
• Minimum 5 years of experience in conducting research
• Strong skills in quantitative/statistical analysis required
• Familiarity with statistical software (Stata, SPSS, R, etc)
• Minimum of three years working experience in international organizations preferred but not essential
• Fluent English language skills, ability to express opinions in both oral and written English, are essential
Personal Attributes and Competencies
• Competent in personal organization and priority setting, with the ability to work effectively under time pressure and manage multiple priorities.
• Demonstrates initiative, capable of working independently and as an effective team player
• Good interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to effectively interact with people in a multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural environment
• Experience working with a wide and diverse network of groups and individuals.
Terms and Conditions
• This is a nationally recruited position. CIFOR offers competitive remuneration, commensurate with skills and experience.
• The appointment is for two years, with a possibility of extension contingent upon performance, continued relevance of the position and available resources.
• The duty station will be at CIFOR Headquarters in Bogor, Indonesia.
Application processThe application deadline is 29 Feb-2016
We will acknowledge all applications, but will contact only short-listed candidates.