The objectives of the Paris Climate Agreement cannot be achieved without forests. Many countries in Asia and the Pacific give a large importance to forests and trees in their NDCs. Also, as strongly stipulated under the Paris Climate Agreement, REDD+ has been widely recognized as a positive incentive mechanism, as well as an important mitigation action from the forestry sector. This subtheme focuses on forests in NDCs and actions to enhance their contributions. It will also draw lessons from implementation and effectiveness for the future of REDD+.
Potential discussion topics:
- High level panel on the subtheme
- Sharing information and experiences on the role of forest in NDCs
- Enhancing the role of forests in achieving NDCs and in supporting the economy
- Role of non-party stakeholders in achieving NDC targets from forest and land sector
- Operationalizing REDD+ in the region (including incentive mechanism for REDD+, REDD+ finance, sharing lesson in accessing REDD+ finance-GCF)