Multi-stakeholder Management of Mangrove Forests in Matang, Perak, Malaysia
The project has a dual goal: the improvement of the livelihoods of the local
people and the enhancement of the renewable resources and forest sustainability
through good governance.
The mission is to propose a socially acceptable, economically viable and
ecologically sustainable accepted process in preparing the integrated mangrove
estuarine management plan.
The main objectives are:
- Improve the linkage between the different entities (stakeholders);
- Create commitment to improve the management of the Matang system;
- Introduce new approach towards building a common vision among the
- To identify the stakeholders;
- To improve the linkages between different entities (stakeholders);
- To create parallel public sphere;
- To create commitment (collective learning) among the stakeholders in order to
improve the management of the Matang system;
- To introduce a new approach towards building common vision among the
- To formulate guideline/criteria on habitat management to meet the needs of all
- Recommendations on how to better manage the mangrove forest, which have also
been consumed by other activities – charcoal production, fishing, and
- A proposed strategy to synergies of the different interest of stakeholders;
- A model to accommodate different interest groups to envision future scenario
on the resource;
- A mangrove stakeholders committee (members);
- Agro-forestry model in mangrove forest.
The objectives will be achieved by introducing an approach that includes the
involvement of relevant stakeholders in preparing a management plan.