- The 10 principles of a landscape approach are designed to assist managers in making decisions involving multiple or competing land uses.
- The principles were taken note of during the CBD COP in Hyderabad in 2011 and referenced as a valuable tool during the 17th SBSTTA meeting in Montreal, October 2013.
- The 17th SBSTTA also highlighted the complexity of land-management decisions and called for tools to assist parties in working toward the Aichi targets.
- Application of the principles has the potential to contribute to a number of the Aichi targets, particularly those under strategic goals D and E.
- The next steps for the targets must be to generate greater awareness among parties, to demonstrate value and improve uptake.
Topic: landscape, mapping, guidelines, biodiversity, sustainability
Series: CIFOR Infobrief no. 123
Publisher: Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR), Bogor, Indonesia
Publication Year: 2015Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.