This Report is the Second External Programme and Management Review (EPMR-2) of the Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR). The members of the Review Panel and their biodata are presented in Annex 1. The Review has been managed by the SC Secretariat in close consultation with the CGIAR Secretariat. The Terms of Reference and Guidelines for EPMRs of CGIAR Centers are shown in Annex 2 and 3 respectively. An additional set of Strategic Issues specific to the CIFOR EPMR-2 were given to the Panel by the Science Council (SC) and are provided in Annex 4.
The Panel and Panel members paid visits to CIFOR headquarters in Asia (Bogor, Indonesia) and two Panel members visited CIFOR Regional Offices in Latin America (Brazil) and Central Africa (Cameroon). Due to travel restrictions to Indonesia for two of the Panel members the Main Phase was held in Singapore rather than Bogor. The Itinerary of the Panel is shown in Annex 5. CIFOR has a dispersed staff in Regional Offices and projects in many countries, and it has not been possible to visit or interview all.
The EPMR Panel is specifically charged to assess the following:
a. The Center 's mission, strategy and priorities in the context of the CGIAR's priorities and strategies;
b. The quality and relevance of the science undertaken, including the effectiveness and potential impact of the Center's completed and ongoing research;
c. The effectiveness and efficiency of management, including the mechanisms and processes for ensuring quality; and
d. The accomplishments and impact of the Center’s research and related activities.
The Panel made every effort to conduct the review in an objective and transparent manner with a focus on CIFOR’s future and concentrating on strategic issues. With respect to the review process, the Panel relied on a vast amount of information in identifying key issues and concerns, assessing CIFOR performance1and reaching its conclusions and making recommendations. These included:
- extensive documentation provided by CIFOR, the SC and the CGIAR Secretariats including the EPMR-1 report and Center Commissioned Reviews (refer Annex 6)
- briefings given to the Panel by the SC and its Secretariat
- briefings during the initial visit to CIFOR headquarters from the Director General (DG), the senior Programme and Management staff, the Board of Trustees (BOT)2
- meetings with Programme Directors, individual scientists and staff members in Headquarters and Regional Offices
- surveys of, and interviews with, stakeholders, donors and Director Generals of the other CGIAR Centers
- e-mail communication between Panel members and CIFOR staff for clarifications and supplementary information.
Panel members have worked individually and collectively to produce drafts of specific sections of the report. Drafts were shared with the Center for comments and to check for factual accuracy prior to finalization. At the end of the Main Phase, the Panel Chair presented the main findings and recommendations of the Review to CIFOR BOT Chair, management and staff at CIFOR headquarters in Bogor, Indonesia. The Panel members agree unanimously to all conclusions and recommendations in the report.
1 Being a Center without walls “CIFOR” is to be taken as a collaborative effort including CIFOR partners.
2 The Panel observed an entire Board of Trustees meeting during its first visit to Bogor in November 2005.