Photo competition: Forest landscapes in Southeast Asia
APPLY NOW to win a photography grant and show your work in leading regional media.
- A passionate photographer – amateur or professional?
- Interested in forests and rural development issues in Asia?
- Using your photos to tell stories about forests and the people that depend on them?
Then you are just the person we are looking for.
In the lead-up to the Forests Asia Summit, the Center for International Forestry Research and its partners are hosting a global photographic competition to highlight the importance of forests for Southeast Asia’s communities, economies and ecosystems.
All photos submitted will be uploaded to the Forests Asia website and a global online audience will vote online for their favorites. The pictures with the highest votes will be displayed at the Forests Asia Summit – attended by more than 1,500 people – and can be featured in the print and online products of our media partners. This includes a special section in Indonesia’s daily English newspaper, Jakarta Globe. An additional set will be picked by a jury of Summit organizers.
We will publish the first photos for voting on 26 March 2014. Submit now!
The photographer who submits the most successful photo will be awarded a USD 500 grant for photography equipment or field trips. The top five participants will receive official certificates.
What kind of photos are we searching for?
- Photos taken in South and Southeast Asian forests or in the landscapes surrounding them
- Photos of forest products and the people that depend on them for livelihoods and income
- Photos of communities living in and near forests
- Photos that show the various services forests provide – climate regulation, water, energy, food and more.
Note: The competition organizers have the right to refuse photo submissions that do not fall within these categories.
- .TIFF or .JPG hi-res format
- min 5000 pixels wide or tall
- 300 dpi resolution.
How to apply
- Please email your photo as an attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org
- In your email, please include:
- A title for the picture, e.g. “Women collecting firewood for cooking.”
- A caption of 50-100 words explaining the background of the picture
- A brief description of where the picture was taken, e.g. Banda Aceh, Aceh, Indoneisa
- Your name, the name of your organization (if applicable) and your email address.
- By submitting a photo, participants agree to Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommerical-Share Alike License. This means that CIFOR may publish the pictures, stating the full name of the photographer.
- Each participant can submit a maximum of 3 pictures.
Timeline and next steps
- Deadline for submission: April 15, 2014 – note that the earlier you submit, the better your chances are.
- Photos will be uploaded on 26 March 2014.
- After that date, photos will be uploaded as soon as they are submitted.
- Participants will be informed once their photo is uploaded and given a unique url to share with their friends, supporters and organization.
- Once the picture is uploaded, the online public can vote for it.