The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) is a nonprofit, global research organization dedicated to advancing human well-being, environmental conservation and equity.
We conduct research that enables more informed and equitable decision making about the use and management of tropical and sub-tropical forest landscapes. We help policy makers and practitioners shape effective policy, improve the management of tropical forests and address the needs and perspectives of people who depend on forests for their livelihoods. Our multidisciplinary approach considers the underlying drivers of deforestation and degradation which often lie outside the forestry sector: forces such as agriculture, infrastructure development, trade and investment policies and law enforcement.
Freelance Editors, Writers, and Translators (Open Call for Roster)
You love language. You like the way it flows, the way it is structured.
You understand technical subjects and how to communicate clearly to a range of audiences.
You work well under tight deadlines and can handle an irregular workload.
You are a writer, an editor, or a translator. You are expertly fluent in English, French, Spanish, Portuguese or Indonesian.
CIFOR has an open call for freelancers to join our roster of language experts. We produce a wide range of content, from scientific articles to corporate reports to marketing materials, and we are looking for experienced, reliable consultants around the world who can help transform our research into high-quality communications materials.
Duties and responsibilities
We will use your expertise on a range of tasks, from writing corporate reports, to substantive research editing, to proofreading brochures, to translating video scripts, and everything in between, targeted to your particular skills and interests.
Education, knowledge and experience
• Minimum 8 years of professional experience in writing, editing or translating scientific or technical content
• Exceptional communications skills
• Experience with international NGOs a significant asset
• Background in environmental science a significant asset
Personal Attributes and Competencies
• Highly responsive and proactive
• Sensitive client service focus and delicate critical eye
Terms and Conditions
• This is an open call for Editors, Writers and Translators on a consultancy basis. CIFOR offers hourly or per-word market-based remuneration.
• Work from anywhere in the world.
• Include in your cover letter a clear description of which stream(s) you are applying for: editing, translation or writing.
Application processThe application deadline is 08 Dec-2016.
We will acknowledge all applications, but will contact only short-listed candidates.