The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) envisions a more equitable world where forestry and landscapes enhance the environment and well-being for all. CIFOR is a non-profit, scientific institution that conducts research on the most pressing challenges of forest and landscape management around the world. Using a global, multidisciplinary approach, we aim to improve human well-being, protect the environment, and increase equity. To do so, we conduct innovative research, develop partners’ capacity, and actively engage in dialogue with all stakeholders to inform policies and practices that affect forests and people. CIFOR is a CGIAR Research Center, and leads the CGIAR Research Program on Forests, Trees and Agroforestry (FTA). Our headquarters are in Bogor, Indonesia, with offices in Nairobi, Kenya, Yaoundé, Cameroon, and Lima, Peru.
Francophone Communications Intern
CIFOR’s Information and Communications Group runs an extensive and dynamic communications program that employs a range of digital and traditional media to maximize the impact of CIFOR’s research. Renowned for its innovation, ambition and reach, the communications program leverages a range of communications platforms including events, websites, social media, multimedia and graphic design. Forests News (CIFOR’s blog) and social media are run in English, French, Spanish and Indonesian.
The French version of Forests News (Nouvelles des Forêts; www.blog.cifor.org/fr ) and social media channels (Facebook, Twitter) cover CIFOR’s research globally, with an emphasis on research in francophone Africa. Given the growing importance of francophone Africa to CIFOR’s research portfolio and the fact that COP21 and the 2015 Global Landscapes Forum will take place in Paris in December 2015, CIFOR is expanding its French-language outreach and communications in 2015. The Communications Intern (French) will support this initiative.
This internship creates an opportunity for an enthusiastic and proactive person to gain on-the-job experience across a broad range of communications activities, in a busy and fast-paced environment in a highly respected research organization. The intern will work with a dynamic team of experienced and talented journalists, communications professionals, and multimedia experts (graphic designers, web designers, photographers, videographers, etc.).
Duties and responsibilities
• Translate, write and edit articles for Nouvelle des Forêts (blog.cifor.org/fr) and other editorial content for dissemination through social media channels
• Play a key role in the day-to-day running of CIFOR’s French-language Facebook and Twitter channels by sourcing and writing fresh, engaging posts that will grow our francophone audiences
• Generate French-language content for dissemination through the blog and social media channels, including memes, videos, podcasts, graphics and photos
• Monitor and report on French-language social media statistics
• Provide editorial assistance, including posting French-language articles and other content
• Provide support to the Regional Communications Coordinator, Africa and Regional Communications Officers in Cameroon and Burkina Faso in the creation and coordination of French-language communications materials in CIFOR’s HQ, working with a talented multimedia team (video, graphic design, web design)
• Assist with events coordination, as required
• Assist Information and Communications Group (ISG) management in coordinating internal and external communications activities
• Assist with other tasks relevant to CIFOR’s mission as advised by the ICG management team
Education, knowledge and experience
• Have recently completed or nearing completion of a degree in a related discipline
• Native speaker of French
• Demonstrated writing and editing skills (French)
• Fluent/highly proficient in English
• Experience with Facebook and Twitter
Personal Attributes and Competencies
• Demonstrated interest in using traditional and digital media to communicate complex information to a broad audience, and in gaining skills in science communications
• Flexible, adaptable, proactive and resourceful
• Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
• Excellent eye for detail and dedication to quality
• Good interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to interact effectively with people of different national and cultural backgrounds and to be a team player
• Strong client service approach
Terms and Conditions
• This is an Internship position. The internship is for 12 months.
• The duty station will be at CIFOR Headquarter in Bogor, Indonesia
Application processThe application deadline is 10 Apr-2015
We will acknowledge all applications, but will contact only short-listed candidates.