The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) envisions a more equitable world where forestry and landscapes enhance the environment and well-being for all. CIFOR is a non-profit, scientific institution that conducts research on the most pressing challenges of forest and landscape management around the world. Using a global, multidisciplinary approach, we aim to improve human well-being, protect the environment, and increase equity. To do so, we conduct innovative research, develop partners’ capacity, and actively engage in dialogue with all stakeholders to inform policies and practices that affect forests and people. CIFOR is a CGIAR Research Center, and leads the CGIAR Research Program on Forests, Trees and Agroforestry (FTA). Our headquarters are in Bogor, Indonesia, with offices in Nairobi, Kenya, Yaoundé, Cameroon, and Lima, Peru.
CIFOR currently has an authorized travel agent organizing all staff travel. To meet the organization's expectations regarding travel alternatives and economical travel arrangements, CIFOR will establish a new position, Travel Coordinator, to ensure that routes and prices are reviewed and endorsed before travel arrangements are finalized.
Duties and responsibilities
• Together with the authorized travel agent, develop travel plans for CIFOR staff in compliance with CIFOR travel policy using on-line travel systems as well as internet resources.
• Review and compare travel itineraries and costs, provided by the authorized travel agent, with other external agents to obtain the best price.
• Coordinate with project managers and HR when clarifying travel details.
• Conduct research on optimal travel alternatives and maintain travel promo updates and information.
• Review the authorized travel agent's proposals for the most economical deals for official individuals and group travel.
• Conduct frequent research on various airlines and hotel rates in frequently visited cities where CIFOR has offices/meetings to secure the most economical deals.
• Update relevant databases on employees' travel
• Verify monthly travel agent billing.
• Attend to queries related to travel plans.
Education, knowledge and experience
• A Minimum of a Bachelor's degree with a minimum of 5 (five) years relevant experience,
• Extensive understanding of domestic and international destinations, code sharing, airlines and interlining routes, and recurrent flyer programs,
• An IATA course certificate in airline ticketing is desirable,
• Strong computer skills and familiar with on-line travel systems such as Galileo and Abacus,
• Knowledge of various travel requirements such as visa formalities, flight baggage allowances and tour operators,
• Fluent in spoken and written English.
Personal Attributes and Competencies
• Professional oral and written communication skills; must be able to interact and communicate effectively with individuals at all levels of the organization with tact and diplomacy, and with a high level of cultural sensitivity,
• Ability to identify and resolve problems in a timely manner,
• Competent in priority setting, with the ability to work effectively under time pressure,
• Exhibit sound and accurate judgment with strong attention to detail,
• Possess good interpersonal and customer service skills,
• Good negotiation, planning and organizational skills.
Terms and Conditions
• This is a Nationally Recruited Staff (NRS) position. CIFOR offers competitive remuneration commensurate with skills and experience.
• The appointment is for one year, inclusive of a six months probationary period, with a possibility of extension contingent upon performance, continued relevance of the position and available resources.
• The duty station will be at CIFOR Headquarters in Bogor, Indonesia.
Application processThe application deadline is 28 Feb-2015.
We will acknowledge all applications, but will contact only short-listed candidates.