The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) is a nonprofit, global research organization dedicated to advancing human well-being, environmental conservation and equity.
We conduct research that enables more informed and equitable decision making about the use and management of tropical and sub-tropical forest landscapes. We help policy makers and practitioners shape effective policy, improve the management of tropical forests and address the needs and perspectives of people who depend on forests for their livelihoods. Our multidisciplinary approach considers the underlying drivers of deforestation and degradation which often lie outside the forestry sector: forces such as agriculture, infrastructure development, trade and investment policies and law enforcement.
Transcriber and Data Entry Consultant
In 2009, CIFOR started a multi-donor funded Global Comparative Study on REDD+ (GCS-REDD+) in 13 countries. This GCS-REDD+ is a 6-year global comparative research project on first and second-generation REDD+ activities in selected countries across Asia, Africa and Latin America. The project consists of 5 modules: 1) national initiatives around policy processes and strategies (Module 1 ¬– M-1), 2) sub-national demonstration activities, 3) monitoring and reference levels, 4) carbon management at the landscape level (incl. adaptation and mitigation synergies and multi-level governance), and 5) knowledge sharing. In 2015, the organizational survey of M-1 will be updated to analyze changes in Indonesia's REDD+ policy network since the first survey in 2012. The overall goal of the project is to provide REDD+ policy makers and practitioner communities with the information, analysis and tools they need to ensure effective and cost-efficient reduction of carbon emissions with equitable impacts and co-benefits such as poverty alleviation and biodiversity conservation – the ‘3E+' criteria.
Duties and responsibilities
The successful candidate will support the second phase organizational and network survey for CIFOR's GCS REDD+ Module 1 on Policy Network Analysis (PNA). He/she will work closely with the Research Officer, Senior Research Officer and Senior Associate conducting PNA research and data collection design, fulfill a role demanding attention to detail, ability to listen to recorded interviews and transcribe verbatim the interviews of the survey as recorded. General tasks will include, but are not limited to:
• Data entry of the survey results into an Access database,
• Transcribe Verbatim all interviews from the survey,
• In cooperation with the Senior Research Officer, conduct quality control of survey data and transcription results.
Education, knowledge and experience
• A minimum of a Bachelor's degree in forestry, environmental science, political/social science or another related discipline,
• Have motivation and commitment to providing research support and interest in issues related to forestry, climate change, REDD+, natural resources management, conservation, or political and economic studies,
• Experience of verbatim transcribing,
• Familiar with MS Office, particularly Word, Excel, and Access,
• Fluent in spoken and written English.
Personal Attributes and Competencies
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to interact with people effectively in a multidisciplinary and multicultural environment,
• Good management and organization skills,
• Values the sharing of information and continuous improvement in a cooperative atmosphere of constructive evaluation and learning,
• Attention to detail,
• Ability to work with minimum supervision.
Terms and Conditions
• This is a nationally recruited consultancy position. CIFOR offers competitive remuneration commensurate with skills and experience.
• The appointment will be for a period of 6 months.
• The duty station will be at CIFOR HQ in Bogor, Indonesia.
Application processThe application deadline is 07 Feb-2015.
We will acknowledge all applications, but will contact only short-listed candidates.