The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) envisions a more equitable world where forestry and landscapes enhance the environment and well-being for all. CIFOR is a non-profit, scientific institution that conducts research on the most pressing challenges of forest and landscape management around the world. Using a global, multidisciplinary approach, we aim to improve human well-being, protect the environment, and increase equity. To do so, we conduct innovative research, develop partners’ capacity, and actively engage in dialogue with all stakeholders to inform policies and practices that affect forests and people. CIFOR is a CGIAR Research Center, and leads the CGIAR Research Program on Forests, Trees and Agroforestry (FTA). Our headquarters are in Bogor, Indonesia, with offices in Nairobi, Kenya, Yaoundé, Cameroon, and Lima, Peru.
CRP – FTA Communications Consultant
CIFOR is the lead center for the CGIAR Research Program on Forests, Trees and Agroforestry (CRP-FTA). Working with CIFOR's worldwide partners, the CRP-FTA Communications Consultant will help build and coordinate an international communications platform for the program.
The CRP-FTA program generates a large volume of online content and products, from cutting-edge videos and innovative research papers, to blog stories from world-renowned experts and presentations at key events. These are featured on the flagship website ForestsTreesAgroforestry.org, on the FTA partner center websites, and disseminated through various online channels, social media and conferences.
Working closely with members of the FTA partner centers, including technical, scientific and outreach staff, the Consultant will fill an important liaison role between focal points. In addition, the FTA management support unit is based at CIFOR, giving direct access to the FTA Director for support and information sharing.
This role offers the opportunity to contribute to a fast-paced, innovative program, helping translate FTA's high-caliber research into meaningful, real-world impact.
Duties and responsibilities
• Build and maintain internal communications channels between center focal points, including scheduling and coordinating regular communications meetings, sharing center information and communicating FTA decisions
• Champion collaborative communications tools for use by center scientists and support staff
• Monitor FTA's presence and identity online: communicate with partners and stakeholders to increase and improve branding, links, messaging
• Create 25% original content in the form of blog posts, event details, and news announcements to post on ForestsTreesAgroforestry.org, curate 75% from center sites, and ensure static site content is kept up to date
• Work with partner centers to build and maintain FTA pages on their center websites
• Compile and coordinate release of the FTA newsletter
• Build and maintain a healthy mailing list of FTA stakeholders
• Explore, develop and maintain appropriate social media channels for FTA, in particular LinkedIn and Twitter
• Produce a set of branding guidelines and a document template package for standardizing communications products across FTA, and coordinate key marketing materials for all centers
• Working with center focal points, help plan and build online marketing packages for key FTA outputs, with overall branding and messaging in mind
• Monitor benchmarks and targets for main platforms and outputs: flagship sites, social media, email blasts, etc., and help develop regular reporting mechanisms for outcomes and impact
Education, knowledge and experience
• Bachelor's degree in communications, development, environmental science or a related field
• Be a passionate communicator who takes pleasure in finding ways to convey complex research findings to a variety of audiences
• Be a skilled writer and able to review communications materials for quality
• Have at least 5 years' experience in development communications
• Have a strong understanding of online marketing campaigns and social media
• Have experience in web content management and reporting
• Have a strong understanding of and interest in environmental issues, preferably related to forests, climate change and landscapes
Personal Attributes and Competencies
• Be willing to travel internationally
• Be able to work effectively with minimal day-to-day supervision
• Perfect fluency in English; other major languages an asset
Terms and Conditions
• This is a Consultancy position. CIFOR offers competitive remuneration, commensurate with skills and experience.
• The appointment is for 12 months.
• The duty station will be at CIFOR Headquarters in Bogor, Indonesia.