The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) envisions a more equitable world where forestry and landscapes enhance the environment and well-being for all. CIFOR is a non-profit, scientific institution that conducts research on the most pressing challenges of forest and landscape management around the world. Using a global, multidisciplinary approach, we aim to improve human well-being, protect the environment, and increase equity. To do so, we conduct innovative research, develop partners’ capacity, and actively engage in dialogue with all stakeholders to inform policies and practices that affect forests and people. CIFOR is a CGIAR Research Center, and leads the CGIAR Research Program on Forests, Trees and Agroforestry (FTA). Our headquarters are in Bogor, Indonesia, with offices in Nairobi, Kenya, Yaoundé, Cameroon, and Lima, Peru.
Scientist – Governance of Furniture Value Chains
The Scientist will both facilitate and identify strategic opportunities for research with impacts on governance of furniture value chains across selected landscapes in South-East Asia. The successful candidate will lead participatory action research on policy, institutions and business models in a complex and adaptive multi-scale governance system. This research aims to improve the livelihoods of small-scale furniture producers, strengthen local institutions, and balance power relations whilst fostering compliance with mandatory and voluntary certification schemes. In addition, He/She will be expected to lead research for development on policy regulation that favors small and medium enterprises as well as environmental benefits such as teak planting and increasing carbon stocks in furniture for climate change mitigation.
He/She will develop participatory action research on furniture value chain governance in selected Southeast Asian countries; as well as regional comparative research with a focus on realizing knowledge sharing and multi-level policy impacts. He/She may co-lead or contribute to CIFOR’s broader portfolio of research initiatives including the landscape approach, Sustainable Forests Management including, in Indonesia forest management units (KPH), modelling and simulation, carbon stocks in furniture value chains, integrated and gendered forest value chains, and climate change mitigation including REDD+ and adaptation. He/She will be supervised by the Director of Research in Forests and Governance, and will work closely with colleagues in all CIFOR research teams.
Duties and responsibilities
• Provide scientific guidance and ensure concepts/methods of research carried out are appropriate and meet the highest scientific standards, reflecting up-to-date scientific methods and concepts;
• Collaborate closely with Forests, Trees and Agroforestry (FTA) component coordinators/leaders within CIFOR and ICRAF to define/implement research activities in emerging areas;
• Write and supervise publications and other scientific communications related to research activities;
• Disseminate science through POLEX, blogs and other popular forums.
• Lead and supervise the capacity building initiatives of the projects;
• Supervise students and mentor junior scientists in the projects.
• As requested by the Director of Research in Forests and Governance, represent CIFOR, in national, regional and global forums related to furniture value chains, forest governance and landscape approach and modeling;
• Develop and maintain constructive partnerships with all stakeholders.
• Lead, coordinate and/or contribute to the policy-science dialogue, outcomes and impacts, and communication targeted at policy makers (including workshops, websites and policy briefs) of relevant projects.
• Lead the search for additional funding for relevant projects.
• Plan and monitor research activities of relevant projects, including financial aspects, as necessary;
• Supervise and mentor staff, when appropriate;
• Lead, coordinate and/or contribute to reporting to donors.
Education, knowledge and experience
• PhD in forestry or natural resource management with strong background in participatory action research, value chain analysis, system dynamics, soft-system methodology and agent-based modelling;
• No less than seven years relevant work experience in governance research; including forest product value chain governance, company-community partnership in forestry, adaptive collaborative management, criteria and indicators for sustainable forest management, developing local institutions, global comparative analysis, climate change mitigation and adaptation, forest and landscape governance;
• Minimum seven years relevant work experience with international multidisciplinary teams;
• Experience working in Southeast Asia both independently and in a team with inter-governmental organizations like CGIAR centers, the World Bank, international and grassroots NGOs, think tank institutions and/or universities;
• Demonstrated success fund raising from international donor agencies;
• Demonstrated success conducting internationally recognized research for impact;
• Demonstrated management and leadership skills;
• Active participation in international scientific fora such as World Forestry Congress, IUFRO, IASC, ATBC, World Teak Conference etc;
• Strong scientific track record of publications in international, peer reviewed journals;
• Excellent written and spoken English, fluency in Bahasa Indonesia and preferably knowledge of one other language from the SE Asian region.
Personal Attributes and Competencies
• Excellent analytical and synthesis skills;
• Management and organisational skills, experience in project management;
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to effectively interact with people in a multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural environment;
• Excellent facilitation and team building capacities;
• Values the sharing of information and continuous improvement in a cooperative atmosphere of constructive evaluation and learning.
Terms and Conditions
• This is an International-Recruited Staff (IRS) position.
• Competitive remuneration in US dollars commensurate with skills and experience.
• The appointment will be for a period of three years, including a one year probation, with a possibility of extension contingent upon performance, continued relevance of the position and available resources.
• The duty station will be in Jakarta/Bogor, Indonesia