The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) envisions a more equitable world where forestry and landscapes enhance the environment and well-being for all. CIFOR is a non-profit, scientific institution that conducts research on the most pressing challenges of forest and landscape management around the world. Using a global, multidisciplinary approach, we aim to improve human well-being, protect the environment, and increase equity. To do so, we conduct innovative research, develop partners’ capacity, and actively engage in dialogue with all stakeholders to inform policies and practices that affect forests and people. CIFOR is a CGIAR Research Center, and leads the CGIAR Research Program on Forests, Trees and Agroforestry (FTA). Our headquarters are in Bogor, Indonesia, with offices in Nairobi, Kenya, Yaoundé, Cameroon, and Lima, Peru.
Under the direct supervision of the Senior Finance Officer, the senior accountant will be responsible for:
• analyzing, monitoring, accounting and reporting on the financial aspects of restricted projects in compliance with the signed grant agreements and in accordance with CIFOR’s standards
• preparing budget proposals in accordance with donor requirements
• providing support in the preparation of the annual Pogram of Work and Budget (PWB)
• analyzing and monitoring the budget and expenses of research support and institutional units.
Duties and responsibilities
1. Monitor budget and actual expenses
· Be responsible for monitoring budget and expenses of: restricted projects under research teams, Research Support Units, and Institutional Units.
· Maintain a complete record of all pertinent documents of each project and coordinate with other Finance section staff and various project leaders to ensure that the financial implementation aligns with all the other aspects of the project agreement.
· Coordinate with donors, collaborators, project leaders and scientists to clarify financial issues, answer queries and give updates on the financial status of the project.
· Review and verify expenditures of restricted projects to ensure adherence to budgetary and donor requirements.
· Review the financial reports submitted by the partners and collect any unused funds.
· Identify incoming funds from restricted donors and provide the code to the Treasury section.
· Review and provide budget clearance for consulting and partnership contracts (through MyCIFOR).
· Review and provide budget clearance for purchase requisitions, when requested by fixed-term staff and check on fund availability and the proper account charging of expenses.
2. Annual budget preparation (inputs to the PWB)
· Coordinate with Program Management and Coordination Team regarding staff time allocations.
· Calculate budgets for partnerships, travel, supplies, consultants, publications and other costs based on the availability of funds of ongoing restricted projects.
· Encode budgets in the Budget System.
3. Budget proposals and budget revisions for ongoing projects
· Prepare project proposals to donors.
· Prepare revised budget for ongoing projects.
· Review new grant agreements and grant amendments.
4. Donor reporting
· Prepare reports on the specific projects’ finances to donors and other users in compliance with CIFOR standards and donor requirements as per signed grant agreements.
· Ensure that reports to donors are submitted on time.
· Coordinate the audit process for certain restricted projects.
5. Perform other tasks assigned from time to time by the Senior Finance Officer and the Team Leader – Finance
Education, knowledge and experience
• university education in accounting with more than 4 years of relevant experience
• experience in financial and accounting services
• experience in project or cost accounting
• fluent in written and spoken English
• experience with financial software applications (familiarity with Sun Systems and Vision XL is an advantage)
• familiarity with donor reporting
• strong computer skills in word processing, database use and other relevant office applications.
Personal Attributes and Competencies
• strong analytical skills
• competent in personal organization and priority setting, with the ability to work efficiently under time pressure and manage multiple priorities
• have initiative and be capable of working independently as well as an effective team player
• good interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to interact effectively with people in a multidisciplinary and multicultural environment
• experience working with a wide and diverse network of groups and individuals
• ability to work with minimum supervision.
Terms and Conditions
• This is a Nationally Recruited Staff (NRS) position.
• CIFOR offers competitive remuneration in Indonesian rupiah (IDR), commensurate with skills and experience.
• The appointment will be for a period of two years, inclusive of a six-month probation period, with the possibility of extension contingent upon performance, continued relevance of the position and available resources.
• The duty station will be at CIFOR Headquarters in Bogor, Indonesia.
To apply, please visit our career site at
To learn more about CIFOR, please visit our website at
CIFOR is an equal opportunity employer. Staff diversity contributes to excellence.
Application processThe application deadline is 15 Jul-2017
We will acknowledge all applications, but will contact only short-listed candidates.