The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) envisions a more equitable world where forestry and landscapes enhance the environment and well-being for all. CIFOR is a non-profit, scientific institution that conducts research on the most pressing challenges of forest and landscape management around the world. Using a global, multidisciplinary approach, we aim to improve human well-being, protect the environment, and increase equity. To do so, we conduct innovative research, develop partners’ capacity, and actively engage in dialogue with all stakeholders to inform policies and practices that affect forests and people. CIFOR is a CGIAR Research Center, and leads the CGIAR Research Program on Forests, Trees and Agroforestry (FTA). Our headquarters are in Bogor, Indonesia, with offices in Nairobi, Kenya, Yaoundé, Cameroon, and Lima, Peru.
Consultant as Web Developer for CIFOR Project Websites
The Web team is responsible for website development and maintenance. The team manages more than 20 websites, including main website (CIFOR.org), FTA website, blog, event websites, project websites and web applications.
One of largest and active project site is Global Comparative Study on REDD+ (GCS) website. This year the GCS project team has been planning to update content and functionalities to ensure the information and resource reflect current development of GCS research as well as to provide better user experience.
In addition, the consultant will manage various other project sites as needed.
Duties and responsibilities
In general, the consultant will develop web user interface and other functionalities in two system areas:
- Front-end user interface covers graphic design and functionalities that let web visitors navigating the site easily.
- Back-end user interface covers customization to WordPress back-end both in visual and functions, so authors, editors and administrators can operate WordPress by using additional/custom editing features.
In specific, the detail activities that consultant is responsible are as follow:
- Sites that consultant will be involved in development, bug-fixing and enhancement include: Global Comparative Study on REDD+ website (www.cifor.org/gcs); CIFOR’s Poverty and Environment Network http://www1.cifor.org/pen/ ; and CIFOR.org/knowledge-tree
- Responsible as web programmer, with activities that include client-side and server-based scripting when required during implementation from design into web-page.
- Responsible as content updater that assisting content developer in updating web pages and uploading web materials (e.g. images, PDF files)
- It is optional but will be an advantage to be selected as candidate if the consultant has ability to work in design area, that covers wire-framing, image mockup and HTML mockup;
Education, knowledge and experience
• Diploma or Bachelor degree of computer science, natural science and other relevant education background
• At least 1 year experience in WordPress front-end and back-end customization;
• A website developer with very good knowledge in web-design and programming to build online and offline web-based application;
• WordPress website development that involve programming for user-interface and data presentation from database;
• Proficient in Cascading Style Sheet (CSS) implementation;
Personal Attributes and Competencies
• Ability to work with a high degree of autonomy and to take initiative and exercise good judgment;
• Competency in personal organisation, priority setting and accuracy, with the ability to work effectively under time pressures and manage multiple priorities;
• Good interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to effectively interact with people in a multidisciplinary and multicultural environment and to be an effective team player;
• Creative, and flexible to respond to changing requirements.
Terms and Conditions
• This is a consultancy position. CIFOR offers competitive remuneration commensurate with skills and experience;
• The consultant reports to Web-Team Leader and daily coordination with Web Officer and the Global Project Communications Coordinator;
• The appointment is for 12 (twelve) months;
• The duty station will be at CIFOR HQ in Bogor, Indonesia.
To apply, please visit our career site at
To learn more about CIFOR, please visit our website at
Application processThe application deadline is 15 May-2017
We will acknowledge all applications, but will contact only short-listed candidates.