The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) envisions a more equitable world where forestry and landscapes enhance the environment and well-being for all. CIFOR is a non-profit, scientific institution that conducts research on the most pressing challenges of forest and landscape management around the world. Using a global, multidisciplinary approach, we aim to improve human well-being, protect the environment, and increase equity. To do so, we conduct innovative research, develop partners’ capacity, and actively engage in dialogue with all stakeholders to inform policies and practices that affect forests and people. CIFOR is a CGIAR Research Center, and leads the CGIAR Research Program on Forests, Trees and Agroforestry (FTA). Our headquarters are in Bogor, Indonesia, with offices in Nairobi, Kenya, Yaoundé, Cameroon, and Lima, Peru.
Geographic Information Systems Officer
The Geographic Information System (GIS) Officer will conduct spatial analysis and remote sensing work for various research activities and projects within CIFOR. The GIS Officer will support CIFOR’s GIS work by managing the resources including hardware, software and data infrastructure. The GIS officer will also be required to contribute to the development of research methodologies related to spatial analysis work, to the development of spatial data management plans and implementation (to make sure that CIFOR’s research data are well maintained and accessible), and to participate in the dissemination of spatial data in Indonesia.
Duties and responsibilities
- Formulate methods for spatial analysis for supporting various research activities within CIFOR.
- Conduct spatial analyses that will involve compilation and/or development of maps, remote images, GIS and other spatial analyses to support research projects and/or dissemination activities.
- Develop metadata of GIS primary files generated from research activities.
- Develop a spatial data management plan based on best practices and international standards as well as implement it.
- Work together with other CG centers to make sure that the spatial data management plan and implementation comply with CGIAR policy.
- Develop guidelines on how to archive secondary data involved in research activities, as well as primary data produces and to update, synchronize and maintain the GIS files and geodatabase for the CIFOR GIS server.
- Develop tools for staff to help them manage and find datasets.
- Perform GIS manipulation and analysis, such as overlays and conversion of coverages, data format and projection conversion, GPS data collection/post-processing/projection, data reconciliation, etc.
- Perform remote sensing manipulations, such as georeferencing, image calibrations, image processing and analysis, feature extraction and produce land cover/land use maps.
- Perform spatial data analysis and or modeling that allows data integration in various ways to reveal relationships, patterns and trends.
- Design, produce, and print maps and other forms of graphic products for CIFOR projects and scientists.
- Develop a platform to enable CIFOR to disseminate spatial data to the public through online mapping platforms.
- Maintain GIS infrastructure (server, database and online platform) to make sure it is always easily accessible.
- Provide GIS technical support (troubleshooting, license activation, provide current software, etc.)
- Establish and maintain professional cooperation, linkage and partnerships with relevant institutions whose intentions and work programs are related to CIFOR research.
- Where necessary, develop a comprehensive technical GIS module and remote sensing training materials for staff, collaborators and/or partners who require basic GIS knowledge.
- Contribute to various dissemination activities including active participation in meetings with stakeholders, seminars, workshops, exhibitions etc.
Education, knowledge and experience
• Bachelor’s degree in ecology, environmental studies, forestry or geography. A Master’s degree would be preferred.
• A minimum of five (5) years of relevant professional experience in developing and conducting spatial analysis and spatial data management
• Advanced knowledge of ArcGIS (desktop and server), Spatial Analysis and Image Processing Software (e.g. Erdas Imagine, ENVI, Definiens) as well as data management
• Strong computer skills in the main software programs (Excell, Word, Access, SPSS etc.)
• Experience working with a variety of remote imageries, e.g. IKONOS, GeoEye, Landsat, SPOT
• Basic knowledge of the CGIARS’ (or other international agencies’) systems, networks and processes would be preferred
• Experience working in a multi-disciplinary environment.
Personal Attributes and Competencies
• Good personal organizational and priority setting skills, with the ability to work effectively under pressure and manage multiple priorities.
• Capable of working independently as well as being an effective team player with initiative and creativity.
• Good interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to effectively interact with people in a multidisciplinary and multicultural environment.
• Value the sharing of information and continuous improvement in a cooperative atmosphere of constructive evaluation and learning.
• Excellent facilitation and teambuilding capacity.
Terms and Conditions
• This is a Nationally Recruited Staff (NRS) position. CIFOR offers competitive remuneration in Indonesian Rupiah (IDR), commensurate with skills and experience.
• The appointment will be for a period of two years, inclusive of a six (6) month probation period, with the possibility of extension contingent upon performance, continued relevance of the position and available resources.
• The duty station will be at CIFOR Headquarters in Bogor, Indonesia
Application processThe application deadline is 12 Apr-2017
We will acknowledge all applications, but will contact only short-listed candidates.