The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) envisions a more equitable world where forestry and landscapes enhance the environment and well-being for all. CIFOR is a non-profit, scientific institution that conducts research on the most pressing challenges of forest and landscape management around the world. Using a global, multidisciplinary approach, we aim to improve human well-being, protect the environment, and increase equity. To do so, we conduct innovative research, develop partners’ capacity, and actively engage in dialogue with all stakeholders to inform policies and practices that affect forests and people. CIFOR is a CGIAR Research Center, and leads the CGIAR Research Program on Forests, Trees and Agroforestry (FTA). Our headquarters are in Bogor, Indonesia, with offices in Nairobi, Kenya, Yaoundé, Cameroon, and Lima, Peru.
Consultant Science Writer – Kabar Hutan
CIFOR’s Communications and Outreach team produces a range of science communications materials based on CIFOR’s global research on forestry, climate change, bioenergy, biodiversity and other topics. Producing these materials involves working with scientists to translate complex scientific findings into styles and formats accessible to a broad readership. These communications products include research publications, infobriefs, infographics, and videos and articles published on Kabar Hutan, the CIFOR blog. In addition to writing for Kabar Hutan, consultant science writers receive additional writing and editing assignments related to the broader communications outreach strategy of CIFOR.
Kabar Hutan has amplified the reach of CIFOR’s work like no other medium. In just a few years, Kabar Hutan has become a crucial resource for researchers, journalists, academics, policy-makers and students. Through a strong and growing social media presence, Kabar Hutan promotes CIFOR’s research work.
The bulk of the articles for Kabar Hutan are written by a small team of consultant science writers working remotely on an intermittent and freelance basis. CIFOR is now looking to enlarge this team by recruiting an Indonesian freelance journalist/ science writer who has extensive experience in communicating scientific research.
Duties and responsibilities
- Write feature articles in Bahasa for Kabar Hutan. Typically, this involves taking complex academic and/or scientific research and creating a well-written, accurate articles for the blog. The articles usually include one or more interviews with the research authors.
- In collaboration with CIFOR staff, generate ideas for articles and stories on climate change and forestry for publication online and elsewhere.
- Attend conferences and field research sites in Indonesia, as required, and contribute content for Kabar Hutan.
Education, knowledge and experience
• University degree in journalism and communications or a related field.
• At least 5 years’ experience in science communications or journalism (samples will be required)
• Fluency in Indonesian and English is a must, while other languages would be an advantage.
Personal Attributes and Competencies
• Be an avid reader of science and environmental literature and issues–someone who genuinely enjoys engaging with scientists and the topics they research.
• Have a passion for storytelling and connecting with audiences.
• Have a strong editorial background, able to identify the most compelling and appropriate stories and methods for telling them, whether tried-and-true, emerging or experimental.
• Have a rich and varied body of published work.
• Be a world-class writer and editor, who can turn their hand to any kind of material with great effect and due respect for academic rigor.
• Be able to come up with and develop ideas for communicating science for impact, and be open to and excited by new possibilities.
Terms and Conditions
• This is a consultancy position. CIFOR offers competitive remuneration, commensurate with skills and experience.
• The contract will be until end of December 2017
• The is a home-based position, however we would prioritize candidates who reside in Jabodetabek area.
To apply, please visit our career site at
To learn more about CIFOR, please visit our website at
Application processThe application deadline is 08 Apr-2017
We will acknowledge all applications, but will contact only short-listed candidates.