The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) envisions a more equitable world where forestry and landscapes enhance the environment and well-being for all. CIFOR is a non-profit, scientific institution that conducts research on the most pressing challenges of forest and landscape management around the world. Using a global, multidisciplinary approach, we aim to improve human well-being, protect the environment, and increase equity. To do so, we conduct innovative research, develop partners’ capacity, and actively engage in dialogue with all stakeholders to inform policies and practices that affect forests and people. CIFOR is a CGIAR Research Center, and leads the CGIAR Research Program on Forests, Trees and Agroforestry (FTA). Our headquarters are in Bogor, Indonesia, with offices in Nairobi, Kenya, Yaoundé, Cameroon, and Lima, Peru.
Science Writers and Editor: Editorial and Multimedia Services
The Science Writer and Editor will be responsible for generating, editing and curating content and special features for CIFOR’s scientific and corporate publications, corporate website, CIFOR.org, its sub-‐sites, and enhance the publications’ quality and effectiveness in attracting and engaging with target audiences, with the aim of increasing the number of downloads and citations.
CIFOR.org, which attracts more than one million views a year, is home to the world’s largest repository of knowledge on tropical forests and landscapes, built by CIFOR’s researchers and partners throughout the organization’s 23-‐year history. CIFOR is designing initiatives to package that knowledge for audiences in new ways to continue to grow the web as an uptake pathway. This consultancy will suit a seasoned writer and editor with a flair for translating complex concepts into layman terms, a passion for science communications, and ideas on ways to present contents in print and digital forms to better engage target audiences. Understanding of print production and how websites work is useful, but technical expertise is not required.
The consultant will work with talented and experienced publication and web teams (graphic designers, programmers, analysts and web designers) and serve as a liaison between the publication and web teams and their clients (CIFOR researchers and colleagues within the Communication, Outreach and Engagement team).
Duties and responsibilities
Summary of responsibilities
- Write and/or edit corporate and scientific publications and other materials
- Produce and curate content on CIFOR.org and sub-‐sites, ensuring the sites are up-‐to-‐date and reflect current priorities as set by the Editorial and Multimedia Services Manager
- Oversee the development of the Educator’s section on CIFOR.org, including eLearning platform, selecting content and writing web copy
- Curate content onto CGIAR.org and other websites that drive traffic to CIFOR.org
- Maintain the Featured Publications section of CIFOR.org, including writing web stories to promote publications
- Liaise with researchers and project coordinators to support the development of web resources and sites, give clear briefs to the web team on changes required, write and edit copy, and guide projects to the end
- Liaise with the Social Media team to ensure publications are promoted through social media
- Provide inputs on publication guidelines and toolkit, communication strategy and websites redesign
- Other tasks related to scientific writing and editing for print and web, as required by the Editorial and Multimedia Services Manager
Education, knowledge and experience
• University degree in a related discipline (communications, development, international relations, environment, etc.)
• Demonstrated ability to write and edit high-‐quality and accessible English-‐language science communications materials, especially for print and web, in a range of styles as required (samples of unedited writing will be requested)
• Demonstrated interest and experience in the use of print publications and websites for science or other research/development communications
• Native fluency in formal and idiomatic English; other major languages an asset
• International experience with NGO or comparable organization an advantage
• Familiarity with WordPress preferred
Personal Attributes and Competencies
• Ability to excel in a fast-‐paced, deadline-‐oriented environment
• Strong client service approach
• Resourceful, adaptable and self-‐directed, and able to find creative solutions
• Passion for excellence
Terms and Conditions
• This is a Consultancy position. CIFOR offers competitive remuneration, commensurate with skills and experience
• The assignment is for 12 months
• The duty station will be at CIFOR HQ in Bogor, Indonesia.
To apply, please visit our career site at
To learn more about CIFOR, please visit our website at
Application processThe application deadline is 24 Feb-2017
We will acknowledge all applications, but will contact only short-listed candidates.