The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) is a nonprofit, global research organization dedicated to advancing human well-being, environmental conservation and equity.
We conduct research that enables more informed and equitable decision making about the use and management of tropical and sub-tropical forest landscapes. We help policy makers and practitioners shape effective policy, improve the management of tropical forests and address the needs and perspectives of people who depend on forests for their livelihoods. Our multidisciplinary approach considers the underlying drivers of deforestation and degradation which often lie outside the forestry sector: forces such as agriculture, infrastructure development, trade and investment policies and law enforcement.
Global Project Communications Coordinator
CIFOR runs impact-oriented research projects across multiple countries, topics and disciplines. Communications and outreach make up a core component of many of the larger projects, often with specific requirements from funding partners to incorporate communications of research findings into the project design and implementation.
The Global Project Communications Coordinator is responsible for implementing the communications strategies and activities plans for these projects, working with national communications officers in Indonesia, Africa and Peru.
Duties and responsibilities
- Under the guidance of the Director of Communications and Senior Communications & Outreach Manager, coordinate the implementation of the communications plans for designated projects. Implementation will include coordinating work by staff and consultants, and providing briefs to units in COE’s Editorial team and web team.
- Supervise/support national communications officers in Cameroon, DRC, Indonesia and Peru in their activities related to implementing the activity plans, to ensure they achieve deliverables.
- Act as focal person for global program and research grants to ensure communications is integrated and delivered
- Support the Senior Communications & Outreach Manager in identifying and hiring suitable consultants to carry out work and coordinate work by consultants related to communications projects
- Provide input into communications strategies/activity plans as required by the Senior Communications & Outreach Manager
- Provide knowledge management input and output for programme deliverables
- Monitor results of communications plans (e.g. views of blogs, media hits, event participants, etc.) for donor reporting
- Contribute to donor reports
Education, knowledge and experience
• Masters degree in policy, communications or a related discipline.
• Have at least 4 years of professional work experience in media/communications, preferably internationally.
• Experience in coordinating communication programs, and contributing to donor proposals and reports.
• Fluency in English essential; plus working knowledge of other languages (French, Spanish, Indonesian) preferred.
Personal Attributes and Competencies
• Be self-motivated, outgoing and welcome the opportunity to work with significant autonomy and enjoy multitasking;
• Be able to strategize at both macro and micro levels;
• Be a team player and have outstanding interpersonal communications skills;
• Able to gain commitment
• Strong client service approach;
• Proven ability to work well under pressure.
Terms and Conditions
• This is an internationally-recruited staff (IRS) position. CIFOR offers competitive remuneration in USD, commensurate with skills and experience.
• The appointment is for 2 years, including 9 month probation period, with a possibility of extension contingent upon performance, continued relevance of the position and available resources.
• The duty station will be at CIFOR HQ in Bogor, Indonesia
Application processThe application deadline is 03 Sep-2016
We will acknowledge all applications, but will contact only short-listed candidates.