The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) envisions a more equitable world where forestry and landscapes enhance the environment and well-being for all. CIFOR is a non-profit, scientific institution that conducts research on the most pressing challenges of forest and landscape management around the world. Using a global, multidisciplinary approach, we aim to improve human well-being, protect the environment, and increase equity. To do so, we conduct innovative research, develop partners’ capacity, and actively engage in dialogue with all stakeholders to inform policies and practices that affect forests and people. CIFOR is a CGIAR Research Center, and leads the CGIAR Research Program on Forests, Trees and Agroforestry (FTA). Our headquarters are in Bogor, Indonesia, with offices in Nairobi, Kenya, Yaoundé, Cameroon, and Lima, Peru.
Consultant – Global Landscape Forum Coordinator
The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) takes the lead in facilitating the Global Landscapes Forum (GLF), supported by a small group of Coordinating Partners (including UNEP and the World Bank) and backed by a broad partnership of over 300 organizations and government bodies active in land use sectors.
Since its inception in 2013, the Global Landscapes Forum has turned into the world’s foremost science-led platform for policy makers, researchers, development practitioners and representatives from civil society, finance and the corporate sector to exchange expertise and best case examples around land use decision making. The Forum focuses on finding cross-sectoral solutions to the world’s most pressing problems – fighting climate change, poverty and food insecurity while protecting the planets ecosystems and biodiversity.
Key achievements since the Forum’s introduction include:
• Commitments to restoring 128 million ha of degraded and deforested landscapes
• Participation of more than 30 Ministers and heads of states, high-level launches of 17 new landscape initiatives
• 15 million people reached via social media (from 2 million in 2013)
• 171,618 unique individuals visiting landscapes.org per year (from 42,269 in 2013)
Following the adoption of Sustainable Development Goals and the Paris Climate Agreement in 2015, the Global Landscapes Forum will transition from a platform focused on policy advice to one focused on action on the ground and tracking progress towards these new climate and development goals. The Forum will be based on the pillars of annual and thematic events, the Youth in Landscapes Initiative, the science committee and year-long online engagement.
Through its scientific outputs, capacity building programs, online engagement, expert symposiums and large-scale events, the Forum aims to reach 1 billion people worldwide.
Duties and responsibilities
- Coordinate small team of communication, social media and web design specialists;
- Research Forum substance and identify key issues in consultation with CIFOR and partner organizations’ scientists;
- Draft concept notes related to campaigns, events, online initiatives and other Forum arms, including but not limited to:
– The annual Global Landscapes Forum event– Regional and thematic events– www.landscapes.org– Youth in Landscapes Initiative– Social Media
- Prepare detailed plans for execution;
- Coordinate with all relevant Forum partners on a day-to-day basis;
- Identify potential new partnerships, take lead in reaching out to individuals and organizations;
- Regular global travel to event locations and for partnership meetings;
- Support coordination of the science committee;
- Liaise with CIFOR scientists;
- Work closely with fellow CIFOR COE team members on outreach, mainstream and social media campaigns;
- Prepare reports on achievements and outcomes for all major events;
- Other tasks in support of the Global Landscapes Forum and CIFOR’s Communication, Outreach and Engagement Team as needed.
Education, knowledge and experience
• Master’s degree in communications, journalism, international relations, development studies or a related discipline or Bachelor’s degree and at least five years of work experience;
• Experience in organizing events with 150 or more participants;
• Good understanding of international development and/or environment policy processes;
• Experience in planning, implementing and evaluating complex projects;
• Experience in working with the SDG or UNFCCC policy processes is an asset;
• Fluency in English is essential, other languages (esp. French, Spanish, Indonesian, German) an advantage.
Personal Attributes and Competencies
• Self-motivated, resourceful and energetic;
• Able to find creative solutions;
• Able to strategize at both macro and micro levels;
• A team player with outstanding interpersonal communications skills;
• Outstanding diplomatic and negotiation skills;
• Proven ability to work well under pressure.
Terms and Conditions
• This is a consultancy position. CIFOR offers competitive remuneration, commensurate with skills and experience;
• The appointment is for 12 (twelve) months;
• The duty station will be at CIFOR HQ in Bogor, Indonesia.
Application processThe application deadline is 15 Aug-2016
We will acknowledge all applications, but will contact only short-listed candidates.