The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) is a nonprofit, global research organization dedicated to advancing human well-being, environmental conservation and equity.
We conduct research that enables more informed and equitable decision making about the use and management of tropical and sub-tropical forest landscapes. We help policy makers and practitioners shape effective policy, improve the management of tropical forests and address the needs and perspectives of people who depend on forests for their livelihoods. Our multidisciplinary approach considers the underlying drivers of deforestation and degradation which often lie outside the forestry sector: forces such as agriculture, infrastructure development, trade and investment policies and law enforcement.
Consultant for Global Landscape Forum Communication Specialist
The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) takes the lead in organizing the Global Landscapes Forum, supported by a small group of Coordinating Partners (including UNEP and the World Bank) and backed a broad partnership of over 200 organizations and government bodies active in land use sectors.
Since its inception in 2013, the Global Landscapes Forum has turned into the world’s foremost science-led platform for policy makers, researchers, development practitioners and representatives from civil society, finance and the corporate sector to exchange expertise and best case examples around land use decision making. The Forum focuses on finding cross-sectoral solutions to the world’s most pressing problems – fighting climate change, poverty and food insecurity while protecting the planets ecosystems and biodiversity.
Following the adoption of Sustainable Development Goals and the Paris Climate Agreement in 2015, the Global Landscapes Forum will transition from a platform focused on policy advice to one focused on action on the ground and tracking progress towards these new climate and development goals. The Forum will be based on the pillars of annual and thematic events, the Youth in Landscapes Initiative, the science committee and year-long online engagement.
Duties and responsibilities
• Take the lead in all GLF online outreach, including day-to-day management of www.landscapes.org and planning newsletters;
• Thoroughly study GLF’s current online engagement platforms and networks and evaluate related results;
• Make recommendations for improvements;
• Conceptualize long-term online strategy;
• Prepare curriculum for planned GLF Academy in collaboration with CIFOR and partner organization’s scientists;
• Identify innovative formats and new technology in support of interactive online engagement;
• Keep up with newest developments in the social media sector on a day-to-day basis;
• Study other organizations / events online outreach arms and successful tools for online engagement – ranging from MOOCS and online conferences to newest developments in livestreaming;
• Take initiative in suggesting new formats and platforms;
• Work closely with CIFOR’s GLF team and partners on linking online formats and networks to GLF’s substance and key messages;
• Oversee the work of the GLF Social Media Intern in close collaboration with CIFOR’s Social Media Analyst;
• Closely monitor impact and reach and adjust online strategy accordingly.
Education, knowledge and experience
• Master’s degree in communications, journalism or a related discipline or Bachelor’s degree and at least two years of work experience;
• Experience in online outreach;
• Good understanding of social media and website metrics;
• Experience in planning, implementing and evaluating complex projects;
• Experience in working in international development or environmental policy is an asset;
• Excellent written and spoken English, other languages (esp. French, Spanish, Indonesian, and German) will be an advantage.
Personal Attributes and Competencies
• Self-motivated, resourceful and energetic;
• Able to find creative solutions;
• Able to strategize at both macro and micro levels;
• A team player and have outstanding interpersonal communications skills;
• Strong client service approach;
• Proven ability to work well under pressure.
Terms and Conditions
• This is a consultancy position. CIFOR offers competitive remuneration, commensurate with skills and experience;
• The appointment is for 12 months;
• The duty station will be at CIFOR HQ in Bogor, Indonesia
Application processThe application deadline is 14 Apr-2016
We will acknowledge all applications, but will contact only short-listed candidates.