The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) is a nonprofit, global research organization dedicated to advancing human well-being, environmental conservation and equity.
We conduct research that enables more informed and equitable decision making about the use and management of tropical and sub-tropical forest landscapes. We help policy makers and practitioners shape effective policy, improve the management of tropical forests and address the needs and perspectives of people who depend on forests for their livelihoods. Our multidisciplinary approach considers the underlying drivers of deforestation and degradation which often lie outside the forestry sector: forces such as agriculture, infrastructure development, trade and investment policies and law enforcement.
Consultant for Social Media Analyst and Science Writer
The Social Media Analyst and Science Writer will take the lead in nurturing CIFOR's digital and social networks by adopting and championing a sophisticated, innovative and strategic approach to social media and original science communications.
Social media is one of the main drivers of traffic to CIFOR's website and Forests News site, and plays an important role in creating uptake pathways and raising awareness of CIFOR's impact-oriented research and events. Social media channels employed or explored as part of the digital communications strategy include Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube, SlideShare, Flickr, SoundCloud, Google+, Pinterest, Instagram and Vine – and we're always looking for more opportunities for social engagement and for more effective ways of using channels.
This consultancy will suit an emerging communications specialist with a genuine interest in finding ways to get the most out of social media and networks, a flair for crafting social-media-friendly posts, a drive for building strong and effective networks, and a taste for experiment and creativity. This role is about more than simply sending out Tweets – it is about understanding why some posts and tools are more effective than others, analyzing results and statistics, engaging in intensive social listening, and coming up with ideas for greater engagement. The consultant will also provide recommendations and training in social media to CIFOR researchers and management, where required, and do some science writing and editing, including for outreach for events and for the Forests News site.
Duties and responsibilities
• Run CIFOR's English-language social media channels, including writing engaging and effective Facebook posts and Tweets, and conceptualizing and producing supporting materials as shareable
• Monitor and analyze trends, practices and networks across all social media platforms to identify opportunities for strengthened engagement with boundary partners and target audiences
• Provide regular reports on social media progress to COE management
• Provide training in effective use of social media to other members of COE and to researchers and management across CIFOR more broadly
• Provide input into CIFOR's social media strategy and to social media strategies for events
• Contribute high-quality English-language blogs and multimedia materials based on CIFOR's scientific research for publication on Forests News, as required
• Copyedit English-language articles for grammar, spelling, style, idiomatic use of language, and accuracy, as required
• Other tasks related to science writing, social media and events, as required by ICG management
Education, knowledge and experience
• University degree in a related discipline (communications, development, international relations, environment, etc.)
• Demonstrated interest and experience in the strategic and innovative use of social media for nonprofit or international organizations, preferably at a global level and including for global events
• Demonstrated familiarity with social listening tools and the rapidly evolving terminology and jargon used in social media
• Demonstrated familiarity with social listening tools for analysis and monitoring, including Hootsuite, Crowdbooster, Hashtracking, Tweetdeck, Facebook and Twitter Insights, Meltwater and NodeXL
• Demonstrated ability to write and edit high-quality and accessible English-language science communications materials, especially journalistic-style blogs, in a range of styles for a global audience (samples of unedited writing will be requested)
• Fluency in formal and idiomatic English; other major languages an asset
• International experience with NGO or comparable organization an advantage
• Skills with photographic and graphic design software (to be able to make own social media materials) an advantage
Personal Attributes and Competencies
• Ability to excel in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment
• Strong client service approach
• Resourceful, adaptable and self-directed
Terms and Conditions
• This is a Consultancy position. CIFOR offers competitive remuneration, commensurate with skills and experience,
• The assignment is for 12 months,
• The duty station will be at CIFOR HQ in Bogor, Indonesia.
Application processThe application deadline is 25 May 2016.
We will acknowledge all applications, but will contact only short-listed candidates.