The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) envisions a more equitable world where forestry and landscapes enhance the environment and well-being for all. CIFOR is a non-profit, scientific institution that conducts research on the most pressing challenges of forest and landscape management around the world. Using a global, multidisciplinary approach, we aim to improve human well-being, protect the environment, and increase equity. To do so, we conduct innovative research, develop partners’ capacity, and actively engage in dialogue with all stakeholders to inform policies and practices that affect forests and people. CIFOR is a CGIAR Research Center, and leads the CGIAR Research Program on Forests, Trees and Agroforestry (FTA). Our headquarters are in Bogor, Indonesia, with offices in Nairobi, Kenya, Yaoundé, Cameroon, and Lima, Peru.
Editorial & Multimedia Services Manager
The Editorial and Multimedia Services Manager plays a key leadership role in one of the world’s leading science communication programs. She/he will be responsible for overseeing CIFOR’s print and digital publishing and web platforms, with a focus on delivering and maintaining the highest editorial standards, cost-efficiency, and effectiveness through strategic monitoring and use of engagement platforms.
Reporting to the Director, the Editorial and Multimedia Services Manager leads a highly motivated and skilled team of staff and consultants — science writer/editor, web masters, graphic artists, production and printing specialists — and a roster of freelance writers, research editors and translators. The production team (3 staff and multiple consultants) publishes more than 400 research publications each year (including editing, translating, layout, and printing), as well as outreach materials such as flyers, booth designs, etc. The web team (4 staff and multiple consultants) manages some 30 websites and sub-sites, including CIFOR.org, which attracts more than 1 million views each year.
This role will suit a proven manager who is dedicated to maintaining and improving editorial standards, who can manage workflow and deliver effective policies, procedures and systems, and can think creatively and strategically for the conceptualization and delivery of high-quality technical and communications products. It requires understanding of publishing processes, design principles, and web publishing, although detailed technical knowhow or expertise is not essential. The ideal candidate will also have a flair for writing, editing and proofreading and able to work in a fast paced environment with a team of high performing and dedicated staff.
Duties and responsibilities
• Manage web and print production teams to maximize their productivity, innovation and outputs in support of CIFOR’s communications strategy and the broader strategy
• Manage workflow, plans and budgets to ensure all outputs are produced cost-efficiently and according to predetermined timelines. Take the lead in managing workflow and coordination across all of COE.
• Oversee an in-house science writer/editor and ensure that content is delivered at highest quality and according to requirements; also provide writing and editing assistance as required.
• Work closely with team members to ensure that design is an integral part of the messaging process for each output. Be responsible for the quality of all team outputs.
• Strategize on how to best use all CIFOR’s digital platforms. Develop and regularly update a digital roadmap for CIFOR that links all its digital assets and maximizes readership to each.
• Be responsible for the monitoring and evaluation of CIFOR’s digital platforms and downloads and regularly provide analysis and recommendations for improvements.
• Act as the lead within COE on all matters to do with publishing, branding and donor acknowledgment.
• Develop and constantly update a global roster of cost-efficient, high-quality freelance writers, editors, translators, designers, web programmers and others.
• Manage the unit’s budgets.
• Establish and enforce editorial policies and procedures. Assist in the elaboration of and regularly update publishing guidelines for staff and consultants working with content development.
• Work closely with scientists and stakeholders in development and production of appropriate research publications and outputs.
• Liaise with the Information Services Manager on CGIAR open access and other areas of collaboration between the web services and library services.
• Collaborate closely with colleagues in COE in constantly monitoring, reviewing, adapting the Center’s communication strategy to meet and surpass clear targets.
• Create a work environment that is creative and fun and that rewards risks and innovations.
Education, knowledge and experience
• Master’s degree or equivalent in communications, publishing, or a related field
• At least 7 years of progressively responsible experience in writing, editing, design and print and/or electronic publishing at the international level. Experience in the areas of environmental sciences, culture and/or science is an asset.
• Demonstrated familiarity with print and digital publication processes
• Skilled in writing, editing and proofreading, and familiarity with design principles
• Experience with managing workflow and developing internal policies
• At least 3 years’ experience of managing teams and budgets.
• Fluency in English essential; other languages an advantage
Personal Attributes and Competencies
• Be self-motivated and welcome the opportunity to work with significant autonomy
• Resourceful and skilled at creative problem solving
• Have a strong editorial background and understanding of what makes for good design and writing
• Enjoy managing multiple projects
• Be able to strategize at both macro and micro levels;
• Be a team player and have outstanding interpersonal communications skills;
• Strong client service approach;
• Proven ability to work well under pressure
• Have a sense of humor and a thick skin
Terms and Conditions
• This is an internationally-recruited staff (IRS) position. CIFOR offers competitive remuneration in USD, commensurate with skills and experience.
• The appointment is for 2 years, with a possibility of extension contingent upon performance, continued relevance of the position and available resources.
• The duty station will be at CIFOR HQ in Bogor, Indonesia
Application processThe application deadline is 31 Mar-2016
We will acknowledge all applications, but will contact only short-listed candidates.