The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) is a nonprofit, global research organization dedicated to advancing human well-being, environmental conservation and equity.
We conduct research that enables more informed and equitable decision making about the use and management of tropical and sub-tropical forest landscapes. We help policy makers and practitioners shape effective policy, improve the management of tropical forests and address the needs and perspectives of people who depend on forests for their livelihoods. Our multidisciplinary approach considers the underlying drivers of deforestation and degradation which often lie outside the forestry sector: forces such as agriculture, infrastructure development, trade and investment policies and law enforcement.
Communications & Outreach Manager
The Communications & Outreach Manager will lead a talented, motivated, multicultural team of communications professionals in implementing CIFOR’s ambitious and highly respected global communications program.
Serving as second to the Director and overseeing a team of about 15 staff and consultants, the Manager will create and implement bold, innovative communications strategies aimed at building and strengthening uptake pathways for CIFOR’s high-caliber research.
To achieve these aims, CIFOR’s communications and outreach program includes events (including the Global Landscapes Forum), Forests News (a virtual news service with multimedia packages; blog.cifor.org), social media, media engagement and monitoring, video, photography, listservs, dissemination, and regional communications activities across Africa, Latin America and Asia.
The Communications & Outreach Manager will also contribute to proposal writing, oversee the unit’s budgets, and provide strategic communications advice to senior management and researchers.
This is a challenging and exciting role for a dynamic, creative strategist with a passion for science communications, a knack for seizing opportunities, a proven ability to manage multiple projects and people, and a flair for bringing out the best in teams.
Duties and responsibilities
• Lead the development, implementation and monitoring of communications, media and outreach strategies to build CIFOR’s reputation and maximize the policy and development impact of its research across Asia, Africa and Latin America
• Make effective, strategic use of a broad range of communications tools, including events, media engagement, social media, web presence, blogs & multimedia packages, direct mail, contact lists, video and photography, among others. This includes overseeing editorial planning and strategic use of Forests News (CIFOR’s virtual news site, blog.cifor.org)
• Manage media tracking and monitoring, key message development, strategic positioning and crisis management, and provide strategic communications advice to CIFOR management and researchers
• Manage budgets across the COE unit, and ensure project deliverables are met on time and to budget
• Lead the development and implementation of communications plans for CIOFR’s involvement in major global events; this includes managing the team that organizes the Global Landscapes Forum (landscapes.org)
• Be the lead liaison with the CGIAR, especially on the CGIAR Research Program on Forests, Trees and Agroforestry.
• Contribute to proposal writing and fundraising efforts
• Supervise a multicultural team of 15 staff and consultants
Education, knowledge and experience
• Master’s degree in communications, journalism, or a related discipline.
• At least 12 years of professional work experience in media/communications, preferably internationally, with experience with a range of communications tools and techniques
• At least 5 years’ experience of managing teams and budgets.
• A skilled, dynamic writer and editor.
• Have a proven strong understanding of social media and of how media works
• Experience in planning, implementing and evaluating complex communication programs.
• Experience in working for a research facility or within the development sector is an advantage.
• Fluency in English essential; other languages (esp. French, Spanish, Indonesian) an advantage.
Personal Attributes and Competencies
• Self-motivated, resourceful and energetic.
• Able to work with significant autonomy
• Able to find creative solutions
• Enjoy managing multiple projects and initiatives
• Able to strategize at both macro and micro levels;
• A team player and have outstanding interpersonal communications skills;
• Strong client service approach;
• Proven ability to work well under pressure
Terms and Conditions
• This is an internationally-recruited staff (IRS) position. CIFOR offers competitive remuneration in USD, commensurate with skills and experience.
• The appointment is for 2 years, with a possibility of extension contingent upon performance, continued relevance of the position and available resources.
• The duty station will be at CIFOR HQ in Bogor, Indonesia
Application processThe application deadline is 31 Mar-2016
We will acknowledge all applications, but will contact only short-listed candidates.