The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) is a nonprofit, global research organization dedicated to advancing human well-being, environmental conservation and equity.
We conduct research that enables more informed and equitable decision making about the use and management of tropical and sub-tropical forest landscapes. We help policy makers and practitioners shape effective policy, improve the management of tropical forests and address the needs and perspectives of people who depend on forests for their livelihoods. Our multidisciplinary approach considers the underlying drivers of deforestation and degradation which often lie outside the forestry sector: forces such as agriculture, infrastructure development, trade and investment policies and law enforcement.
Research Specialist – Quantitative Methods
The Research to Impact team needs a Research Specialist, whose role will contribute to guiding scientists in survey sampling, research instrument design, statistical and econometrics analysis, and also co-delivering training in quantitative research methods. The Research Specialist, together with the Research Data Specialist, will coordinate data collection in CIFOR such that it is undertaken using a set of common standards and practices. This will then allow data to be reused by other projects in the future, as well as providing the data for wider use beyond CIFOR.
Duties and responsibilities
• To develop common standards and practices related to quantitative data collection.
• To guide and work with scientists in CIFOR to meet the standards and adopt practices related to quantitative data collection and analysis.
• To conduct quantitative analysis and research.
• To quality assure quantitative analyses done by CIFOR scientists.
Details of duties, assignments and objectives will be further discussed and laid out in the staff’s annual performance contract.
Education, knowledge and experience
• Master’s degree in economics, statistics, or other quantitative social sciences
• Minimum 5 years of experience in conducting research
• Strong skills in quantitative/statistical analysis required
• Familiarity with statistical software (Stata, SPSS, R, etc)
• Minimum of three years working experience in international organizations preferred but not essential
• Fluent English language skills, ability to express opinions in both oral and written English, are essential
Personal Attributes and Competencies
• Excellent analytical and synthesis skills,
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to effectively interact with people in a multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural environment,
• Good management and organization skills,
• Excellent facilitation skills,
• Values the sharing of information and continuous improvement in a cooperative atmosphere of constructive evaluation and learning,
• Ability to travel.
Terms and Conditions
• This is a nationally recruited position. CIFOR offers competitive remuneration, commensurate with skills and experience.
• The appointment is for two years, with a possibility of extension contingent upon performance, continued relevance of the position and available resources.
• The duty station will be at CIFOR Headquarters in Bogor, Indonesia.
Application processThe application deadline is 29 Feb-2016
We will acknowledge all applications, but will contact only short-listed candidates.