The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) envisions a more equitable world where forestry and landscapes enhance the environment and well-being for all. CIFOR is a non-profit, scientific institution that conducts research on the most pressing challenges of forest and landscape management around the world. Using a global, multidisciplinary approach, we aim to improve human well-being, protect the environment, and increase equity. To do so, we conduct innovative research, develop partners’ capacity, and actively engage in dialogue with all stakeholders to inform policies and practices that affect forests and people. CIFOR is a CGIAR Research Center, and leads the CGIAR Research Program on Forests, Trees and Agroforestry (FTA). Our headquarters are in Bogor, Indonesia, with offices in Nairobi, Kenya, Yaoundé, Cameroon, and Lima, Peru.
CIFOR’s Communications and External Relation team runs an extensive and dynamic communications program that employs a range of digital and traditional media to maximize the impact of CIFOR’s research. Known for its innovation, ambition and reach, the communications program leverages a range of tools including events, websites (cifor.org, Forests News, landscapes.org), social media, multimedia and graphic design.
This internship creates an opportunity for an enthusiastic and proactive person to gain on-the-job experience across a broad range of communications activities, in a busy and fast-paced environment in a highly respected research organization.
You will get practical experience in applying the techniques and approaches that have given CIFOR >26,000 followers on Twitter and Facebook, with steady growth; the way CIFOR uses its digital media, news site and events, both individually and tandem, as potent communications tools; and how to write and/or produce various kinds of communications products.
The Communications Intern will learn by being an active participant in the implementation of the Outreach component of the communications program, with a focus on social media, as well as writing, research for websites and events, editorial assistance for websites, assistance with events coordination, and activities to support and improve internal communications.
Duties and responsibilities
• Assist in devising and implementing social media communications plans designed to increase the reach of research findings and engage audiences, and in recording social media statistics
• Play a key role in the day-to-day running of Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn by sourcing and writing fresh, engaging posts that will grow our audiences and assist with developing and curating content
• Help to curate CIFOR’s Flickr, YouTube and SlideShare offerings, ensuring that captions and titles are engaging and link back to research findings
• Provide editorial assistance to the editors of Forests News, landscapes.org and other publications or platforms, as required, including writing, editing and producing stories in various mediums
• Draft other written materials (e.g. factsheets, press releases, scripts, proposals, newsletters) and assist with creation of other communications tools (e.g. multimedia products), as required
• Assist with events coordination, as required
• Assist C&ER management in coordinating internal and external communications activities
• Assist with other tasks relevant to CIFOR’s mission as advised by the C&ER management team
Education, knowledge and experience
• Being completing, or have recently completed, a degree in a related discipline
• Demonstrated writing and editing skills
• Fluency in idiomatic English, both oral and written
Terms and Conditions
• This is an Internship assignment, the appointment is for 12 months
• The duty station will be at CIFOR Headquarters in Bogor Indonesia.
Application processThe application deadline is 31 Jan-2016
We will acknowledge all applications, but will contact only short-listed candidates.